BP is running this TV ad that includes an apology from its CEO. The ad has not been entirely well-received, with many saying that the company should be using its money for this crisis, not for self-serving image management. In the ad, BP’s current CEO Tony Hayward makes these statements that reflect our five languages of apology, including:
1. Expressing Regret: “I’m deeply sorry to those who are affected”
2. Accepting Responsibility: “This never should have happened.” (Half credit given for weak language).
3. Making Restitution: We take full responsibility for cleaning it up.”
4. Genuinely Repenting: “We’ll do everything we can so this never happens again.”
5. Requesting Forgiveness: (No mention in the ad).
The ad contains a very concise apology that touches upon 4 of our 5 languages of apology. While their words have earned them high marks on my apology rating scale, their actions over the coming months will speak more loudly than these words. To BP: We’ll be watching the repair of the oil leak and the oil cleanup very closely.
What do you want to hear or see from BP?
Media Inquiries: 336-254-4325